Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Beginning of Us by Sarah Brooks

The Beginning of Us
Grade-A
Hotness Level-Spark
Kink Level-No Kink
Genre-Contemporary/ f/f
Reviewed by Kate
115 pages
 
When I ran across this book, I got excited for three reasons. A-it's f/f, a genre I wanted to read more of, B-it's teacher/student, and C-it seemed that part of it would be written in letter format. I absolutely love a story written in the form of letters or journal entries or anything similar. I am so glad I picked this one up.
 
Tara is a senior in college who falls and falls hard for her professor, Eliza. When Eliza leaves without a word to Tara, Tara takes to her laptop and pours her heart and story out into a letter to Eliza. The entire story is written in a letter format. Tara's words were so raw and gritty, stark and honest. The story hooked it's claws into me and would not let go! I could not stop reading this one.
 
At first, the angst that Tara is feeling over being abandoned by Eliza reminded me of Bella Swan in New Moon and I worried that we'd soon find Tara curled in on herself and staring at a wall. Instead, Tara uses her words to cope with her loss. The story quickly started to remind me of The Girl in the Box by Ouida Sebestyen, a book I read as a teen that still sticks with me today (girl is kidnapped and left alone with only a typewriter-I would recommend reading if you haven't already). There is a sense of Tara discovering herself through her own words. Almost a coming-of-age feel. This book, like The Girl in the Box, will stay with me for a long, long time. Sarah Brooks have given us such a different, unique voice with story, I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
 
The Girl in the Box is one of those rare books that has stuck with me for the last 20+ years. Do you have any books that just won't let you go?

No comments:

Post a Comment