Friday, April 18, 2014

The Bossman by Renee Rose

18878014
Grade: D+
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: Moderate Kink
Genre: Contemporary
Published: 3/08/14
Reviewed by Kate
114 pages

Sophie's dad was a member of the mob and was killed when she was younger. Since then, she's gone out of her way to avoid getting involved with the family again. But all of that changes when her car is about to be repossessed and the mob boss' younger brother, Joey steps in and pays off the loan for her. Joey's always been happy to stay in his older brother's shadows and keep his hands clean. But can he ever have Sophie when she wants nothing to do with the family?

This one was a head shaker for me. First, I don't think I'll ever be a fan of mafia romance (this was my first mafia romance read) and, admittedly, I know very little about the mafia. Secondly, for not wanting to get involved in the family, Sophie was very quick to jump into bed with Joey and by the end of the second date she was ordering spanking implements for him?! Not to mention Joey doesn't really seem to get off on spanking Sophie, yet he knows that's what she really needs (yes, knows this by the 2nd date). Apparently mind reading ability comes along with your mafia membership card. And last, the ending seemed a little too easy. It's presented as happily ever after, but I just can't see it staying that way for long.

If the mafia romance angle sounds intriguing to you it may be worth a read, but for me, I don't think I'll be reading any more mafia romance. 

Has anyone else read a mafia romance? What did you think? Good, bad, indifferent?

1 comment:

  1. I've not read a mafia romance, but I don't think I would. I think the believability of an HEA would be hard for me, in such a violent culture. That probably goes back to the mafia wife movie I saw starring Laura Ingalls (yes, yes, I know that's not her name in real life, but I can't remember it, and you know exactly who I'm talking about now) as a mafia wife who gets lovingly shot in the head at the end of the movie. (Melissa Gilbert! It came to me!)

    Anyway, mafia romance, motorcycle club romance, that kind of thing are a hard sell for me. Now put the same story in a post-appocolyptic setting? I can buy it then!

    ReplyDelete