Friday, March 28, 2014

Jenny:Virtuous No More-The Novel by Nora Blackstock

Jenny: Virtuous No More, The Novel (Complete Set, 1-5)
 
Grade-D+
Hotness Level-Inferno
Kink Level-Moderate Kink
Genre-Contemporary
Reviewed by Kate
 
I feel that in order for you to understand my feelings on this book, you need to see what initially attracted me to this book. Here it is...
 
Originally released in five parts, this is the complete edition of theJenny: Virtuous No More series.
Jenny was a good, devoted wife. When her marriage to husband Mark grew distant, she took matters into her own hands to find out if he still loved her. He did, but his confession, and the things he wanted her to do, were shocking. To save her marriage, Jenny embarked on a sexual journey from which there was no turning back. She would no longer be the “good girl” that everyone knew and loved. (From goodreads)
 
Sounds good, right? I know both Anne and I enjoy the husband/wife trope, and I was hoping for some BDSM thrown in too. I quickly realized that the description was deceiving. It was flagged as being Erotic and Romance on Net Galley. And it was definitely erotic. But I don't think the romance went past the first dozen pages or so.
 
From the blurb, we know that Mark has some kink. Turns out he fantasizes about watching Jenny flirt and maybe be fondled by other men. But, what bothered me was that Mark would leave Jenny alone in the bar while she was flirting with others. I wanted him to be a part of it, even from a distance. Get past it, I told myself and kept reading. Well, it kept getting a little worse, and a little worse. But I kept reading because I kept hoping that it would turn into the romance I was hoping for. But it never did.
Turns out Jenny becomes instantly attracted to Nathaniel, a man who approaches her on their first visit to the bar. She becomes infatuated with him and is soon sleeping with him. What starts out with Mark's approval, even though he's not in the room, quickly turns into Jenny keeping secrets from Mark. But then, wait for it...it turns out that Nathaniel is part of a 3 man con team. They go around the world seducing women and then blackmailing their husbands. But the FBI is onto them. So by the end, the bad guys are caught and Mark and Jenny's relationship is left up in the air.
 
And, as if that wasn't bad enough, the sluttier Jenny became, the worse the editing got. There were so many spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. For example at one point, the word "angle" appears while I think the author meant "ankle." The errors really pulled me out of the story. Although I'm not really sure why I'm complaining about that, since it wasn't that great of a story for me anyway.
So yes, the sex was hot (we're talking m/f and m/f/m/m). But the rest of the story was nothing close to what I would call a romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment