Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Through The Smoke by Brenda Novak

Through the Smoke
Grade-C
Hotness Level-Blaze
Kink Level-No Kink
Genre-Historical
Reviewed by Kay
303 pages
This one surprised me quite a bit. This is way more than a romance.

The Earl in this story is trying to clear his name over his wife's death. They were estranged and he headed home to confront her about her pregnancy that wasn't his. There was a fire at his estate and he was the only survivor. He was pulled out of the fire by his cousin, With. He follows up on leads that send him in the direction of a book seller. Her father worked at the earl's coal mine and is a suspect in the fire.

Rachel is the coal miner's daughter. The earl is sure she has information that can help him in clearing up the mystery and his name. They share an almost instant attraction and to make a long story long, they end up lovers. This decision ruins Rachel and makes her neighbors mistrust her. She truly loses almost everything she has.

There was a great mystery in this book. The plot was very well done. Good character development and scene description. My problem was there was little to no heat. Also, I like my historical to take place in Scotland or England. I want the Ton and ball gowns. I got none of that here. It was a good story but I was left wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment