Friday, May 23, 2014

Lumberjack in Love by Penny Watson

16167949

15993406
Note: the top cover is the latest cover for this book.  I feel like I should get bonus points for bravery for reading it when it had the original hand drawn cover!

Grade: B
Hotness Level: Blaze
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Lumberjack in Love #1
Published: 9/7/12
Reviewed by Anne
114 pages

Ami is a city girl through and through.  She's visiting her sister in the boonies of Vermont while nursing a broken heart.  She was just dumped by her boyfriend, who she not realizes was a total loser.  Her sister sends her on an errand to deliver something (papers, I think) to Marcus, a very lumberjack looking man who is building a custom treehouse for Ami's niece.  They're each attracted to the other, but also very aware of how unsuited they are.  And very aware of how attracted to each other they are.  So a little fling couldn't hurt, right?

This was a quick and funny read.  It's full of lines like this one: "Was there a Mrs. Mountain Man in the picture, maybe sewing the checkerboard curtains and keeping his axe well oiled?"  I love this kind of humor, so the story flew by with me chuckling a lot.

The ending had me rolling my eyes a bit.  It annoys me when otherwise rational characters choose not to communicate and the main reason seems to be to set up conflict.  That was the case here.  Also, while I appreciated a discussion of birth control, neither character seemed concerned about STDs, which didn't seem responsible.

Still, it was cute and I enjoyed it and would try another story by this author.  I recommend it if jokes about wood still crack you up - I know they do for me!

1 comment:

  1. I read this one back when it had it's hand drawn cover as well. That's a benefit of having an older Kindle. Everything is less scary in black and white. I remember it being light hearted and fun.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete