Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Too Stupid to Live by Anne Tenino

16149703
Grade: B+
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: Contemporary, m/m
Series: Romancelandia #1
Published: 1/14/13
Reviewed by Anne
247 pages

I've been on an Anne Tenino kick, and this book was part of her backlist I'm working through.  I think her TAG books are my favorite (start with Frat Boy and Toppy) but Too Stupid to Live was very enjoyable!  The back cover blurb bothered me, though, because it was a bit misleading.  So I'm going to edit it as I think it should be here: 

Reformed rakes make the best husbands.

Sam is too tall, too skinny, too dorky, too gay, and has that unfortunate addiction to romance novels.   His One True Love is certainly still out there, and he knows what he's learned from his reading is going to help him identify that man.  He’s cultivated the necessary skills to see the highlander hiding inside the jeans clad player.

That's when he meets Ian.

Ian’s a new man. He’s pain-free, has escaped the job he hated and the family who stifled him, and is now—possibly—ready to dip his toe into the sea of relationships.  His history of hookups and hiding his sexuality is over.  He's not sure how to do it, but he's going to have a meaningful relationship and be honest and open about it.  If he can only find the words. 

That's when he meets Sam.

Sam’s convinced that Ian is no one’s Mr. Right. Ian’s sure that Sam isn’t his type. They can’t both be wrong . . . can they?

So, Sam and Ian meet each other and stumble into a relationship that plays out sweetly as they try to figure out themselves and each other.  Ian is actually seeing a therapist and trying to figure out how to have a real relationship.  Sam is trying to believe that he deserves a good man.  It's a pretty low conflict story, which I love.  Just these two men trying to sort themselves out.  It's very cute and funny, and the sex is very hot and steamy.  

When I was typing up this review I saw that there's a second book in the series listed as coming out later this year featuring secondary characters from this book.  I'm looking forward to it!  I should also mention that this book is linked to two short stories written by Anne Tenino,  Whitetail Rock and The Fix.  Sam was a secondary character in those books and Ian is a cousin to one of the main characters.  I don't think it's necessary to have read them before - but they are good stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment