Friday, May 2, 2014

The King by J.R. Ward

17703290
Grade: B+
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: Paranormal, Vampire
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #12
Published: 4/1/14
Reviewed by Kate
592 ebook pages

I'm relatively new to the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.  I worked my way through the series and finally caught up with the release of Qhuinn and Blay's story last year.  I've reread the first few books a second time, but have not reread the entire series.  I was really looking forward to the release of the King.

I would love to give you a synopsis of the story, but honestly that would probably take close to the 592 pages that the author used to tell the story.  It follows so many people and covers multiple story arcs.  It was such an involving story.  While I normally average 150 pages read each day, I got through this giant book in just under 48 hours.  And that includes taking breaks for things like feeding my family.  And truthfully, you really need to read all the other books in the series before you start this one.

Let me say that this book was everything I was hoping that it would be.  It was Wrath and Beth, and so much more.  We get more from the Band of Bastards, Assail, and Trez and iAm, as well as glimpses of all our favorite Brothers and their shellans.  We also see some romances forming between some of the (currently) secondary characters.  The ending left me with a huge contented sigh.  A part of me would like to see the series to end at this really happy point, but there are so many loose ends left to be tied up that I know there must be plenty of new books left to be written (and I want to know how those ends are tied up).

Because I have not read my way through the series multiple times and my memory is not the greatest, I did struggle at times dealing with so many characters, who they were and what happened to them in the last books?  Especially the female characters that look like they may be featured in some of the upcoming books.  A quick wikipedia search provided me with a list of characters that I kept next to me through the first half of the book.

So, my review in a few sentences:  If you already enjoy the Black Dagger Brotherhood you will love this one.  If you haven't started this series yet, what are you waiting for?  Start with the first one (Dark Lover) and you won't be able to stop.

1 comment: