Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Seduction Hypothesis by Delphine Dryden

The Seduction Hypothesis  (Science of Temptation #2)
Grade: A-
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: Moderate Kink
Genre: Contemporary, BDSM lite, Nerd-mance
Series: The Science of Temptation #2
Reviewed by Anne

This is going to be a hard review for me to write, mostly because I'm having to reign in my desire to just squee like a fan girl about how good this book is.  Because it's good.  And I really liked it.  And it's funny.  And it's good and I liked it and you should really, really read it, because it's good.  And...

OK, let me try again.  I'm a huge Big Bang Theory fan, and when the first book in this series, The Theory of Attraction, came out it made me think of BBT and I really wanted to read it.  So, I bought it and read it ASAP.  I enjoyed that one and told all my friends about it. This was back before we started the blog, but it was an honorable mention on my Best of 2012 list here.   I liked it and all my friends knew about it.  So when the second book, The Seduction Hypothesis showed up on Netgalley, I think either Kay or Kate messaged me about it and I put in a request to read it.  Thankfully the publisher (yay Carina Press!) approved a copy for me.  I enjoyed this one even more than the first.
 
Ben and Lindsey are in the same nerdy social circle, and that's been a bit painful lately, because they dated for a while and then broke up.  Lindsey would like to try some BDSM, but even hinting about it to Ben got a bad reaction.  At the same time, Ben doesn't like the way he sees her watching their friend, Ivan.  His jealousy and her desire for more lead to them breaking up.  And that makes for one uncomfortable trip to BeastCon, the fan convention their group of friends is attending together.  When Ben begins to realize just why Lindsey left him, he's already been regretting their break up.  He sees the BDSM comic she's reading. He sees her watching not just Ivan, but watching Ivan AND Ivan's girlfriend, Cami.  He sees the D/s vibe between Ivan and Cami and things click into place.  He decides the Con will be a great place to try to win Lindsey back.
 
This book is the second in this series, but it does stand alone very well.  If you read Theory of Attraction first you'll really appreciate the scenes with Cami and Ivan in this book, but you'd be fine without having read it.  This book is both hot and funny.  Ben throws himself into learning the ways of BDSM, but he's not perfect.  Lindsey and Ben share some giggly moments in the middle of their sexy times, and that read so true to me.  
 
Dryden has GOT to be a nerd.  Either that or she knows a lot of them, because I have some nerd cred and she knows how nerds talk.  There's a sentence in the book where the characters talk about cake being merely a vector for the icing delivery as salad is for dressing.  I've had conversations like that.  Seriously.  They are both funny and effortless in real life when you're immersed in such subjects.  Dryden really nails that in this book.  She also has countless geek references that all made me smile.  So much fun!
 
So, when you read The Seduction Hypothesis you get all the goodness I just wrote about, PLUS you have a female lead with a Cthulhu tattoo and a male lead who isn't afraid research BDSM and make a crib sheet on how to carry it out.  I love this book and I highly recommend it.  It's going on my best of 2013 list!

So I'm curious... If you read this book or Theory of Attraction, did it work for you?  Is there more good nerd-mance out there?  What would you recommend?

3 comments:

  1. I'm all for a good nerd hero. I enjoyed both Theory of Attraction and Seduction Hypothesis alot. Funny thing, between the two, I preferred Ben over Ivan and Cami over Lindsey.

    These are not the first nerd-mances I've read though. A while back, I ran across one about a nerd staying in a cabin in the woods close to a town that was obsessed with bigfoot. For the life of me I can't remember the title or author, and I couldn't find anything by researching it either. I would like to read it again though, so if anyone recognizes it, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read this and didn't seem to enjoy it as much as you two. I don't care for nerd romance and just can't seem to accept them as alpha males. I'm sure I'm wrong.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete