Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Theory of Attraction by Delphine Dryden

The Theory of Attraction (Science of Temptation, #1)
Grade: B-
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: Moderate Kink (BDSM)
Genre: Contemporary
Series: The Science of Temptation #1
Reviewed by Kate

121 pages

On Anne's recommendation, I read the Seduction Hypothesis. (See Anne's review here.)When I finished I had to go back and read Ivan and Cami's story. I wasn't too far into The Theory of Attraction before I realized I had read it before (evidently my poor memory could benefit from some sort of "books read" system as this is no where near the first time this has happened to me.) As I continued to read, I remembered how much I had enjoyed reading it the first time around.

Ivan is a man of routine and predictability. In the time Camilla has been his neighbor, she has learned his routines and fallen for him a little bit, even though they are just computer game playing, sci-fi watching friends. When Ivan needs to charm some bigwigs at an upcoming party he turns to Cami. Perhaps she can help him get past his awkward social presence. Cami jumps at the chance to help him (and spend more time with him) but gets more than she bargained for when she realizes there's one thing about predictable Ivan she didn't know -- he's a Dom.

I really like that this wasn't a book about changing Ivan. Cami helps him understand the situations he'll encounter at the party, but he doesn't undergo a nerd-to-jock transformation. He remains himself. He continues his experiment on growing tomatoes, despite his his dislike for tomatoes. He still has a hangup about shower hanky panky (my favorite scene in the book.) And on the path to helping Ivan, Cami learns about herself too.

A strong start to a great series.  Delphine Dryden has done for nerdiness what butter did for toast -- made it yummy and scrumptious.

No comments:

Post a Comment