Thursday, August 1, 2013

Unscripted by Jayne Denker


Grade: C
Hotness Level: Blaze
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: Contemporary

Reviewed by Anne
219 pages
 
Faith is "Faith Freakin' Sinclair."  She's creator/producer/writer of an incredibly popular show in Hollywood.  Well, she was up until that point where she grabbed her boss by the balls, literally, and got herself fired.  She's waiting for it to blow over, but it's dragging on a lot longer than she thinks.  The only way she can see herself getting back in with the network is to bring back the star she fired months ago.  Now he's at a small community college taking acting classes and she's at the mercy of  Mason, aka Professor Mitchell, aka head of the theater department.  
 
Sometimes expectations really color your view of a book. I went into this one expecting romance to be the focus of the book. There definitely was romance, but I think the focus of the book was Faith's personal growth. When you add in the first person POV, the pretty much perfect guy paired with the heroine full of flaws, and don't forget the moments of humiliation... that reads more like Chick Lit to me, and Chick Lit is not my favorite genre.

I felt like there was a lot of time and detail spent on the set up of the story, and it dragged. I could have done without the flashbacks, or at least without most of them - the ones that detailed Faith's crush on her young star and the embarrassing thing that happened between them.  I'm just not big on wallowing in someone's humiliation.  And the humiliation wasn't reserved for the flashbacks.  It was an ongoing thing.

On the plus side, the writing WAS funny. It actually made me smile at times. This would probably work really well for someone who liked chick lit or is a huge Kristan Higgins fan, but it was just ok for me.


One final comment - I really like this cover.  However, both the models on it are much younger than I pictured Faith and Mason.

So, where do you fall on the chick lit scale?  Do you like it or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment