Saturday, September 21, 2013

Game Misconduct by Bianca Sommerland

Game Misconduct (The Dartmouth Cobras, #1)
Grade: DNF
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: High Kink
Genre: Contemporary, ménage

Series: The Dartmouth Cobras #1
Reviewed by Kate
351 pages 
 
Oriana is the spoiled little rich girl daughter of a hockey team owner.  Now, she's not the only child of said hockey team owner.  She has a sister, Silver, a manipulative bitch who is extremely sexually adventurous.  She also had a brother who died, but apparently his dream was to play pro hockey. His death prompted his father to buy the hockey team.  Now her father is all about appearances.  It's important that his life appears hunky-dory at all times.  His daughter Silver has caused some problems in the past, problems that he's dealt with by caving in.  And in turn Silver has learned that manipulation is the best way to deal with dear old dad.  Oriana, however has done her best to be the perfect daughter.  She's even dating the team coach, Paul, a real douche of a guy.  But when she catches Paul cheating, she decides to walk away.  Daddy-o however has other plans.  He's been helping Paul hide his affair (father-of-the-year award, ladies and gentlemen) and wants Oriana to pretend it never happened as well.  Otherwise he's going to cut her off, and that means she won't be able to finish med-school.

So this is where it starts going all kitty-wompas (is that really a phrase?).  The perfectly logical to solution to Oriana's dilemma is obviously blackmail (I mean it worked for her sister).  The assistant coach Tim helps her come up with the idea (because apparently someone going to med school isn't smart enough to figure this one out on her own).  Oriana is going to go into the bathroom at the arena with 5 of the players and then Oriana is going to leave the bathroom wearing only a jersey.  So the security cameras will show that she got down and dirty with 5 of the team players, when actually, she didn't.  Pretty straight forward, right?
 
Except apparently she has some feelings for one of the players Max, and he likes to watch other people having sex.  And Max has a thing for Oriana, and watching Oriana with all his buddies.  And somehow the security footage just doesn't come out conveying the message that they want it to convey.  So they'll have to do it again.  But this time, it will be at the boys home (all 5 players share a house) and this time they'll actually do it.
So this is what bothers me about this book.
  1. The warning in the Kindle store for this book reads "This ebook contains material not suitable for readers under 18.  In also contains scenes that some may find objectionable, including BDSM, ménage sex, bondage, anal sex, sex toys, double penetration, voyeurism, edge play, and hockey equipment being used inappropriately."  I read the warning before downloading the book, so I felt I was fully prepared.  However I was a little shocked to discover that the ménage sex they were talking about was actually with all 5 players (even though there are only 2 guys shown on the cover).
  2. I found it extremely hard to figure out who was who.  Each player was know by both their first and last name, although never at the same time.  So I was constantly wondering if Dominik was the same person as Vanek or was he maybe Mason?  And maybe the sex scenes would have worked more had I knew who was where and doing what.  Maybe it would have felt like there was more of a connection between the characters.
  3. I really feel like Oriana felt like this was a perfectly viable option.  Crap, Dad's gonna cut me off and I really want to finish med school, so I guess a gang bang is the perfect solution.  Seriously!?  Ever heard of student loans?  Or maybe scholarships?  I'm kind of thinking I wouldn't want her as my doctor because she doesn't actually really seem that smart.
  4. I read to the 37% marking (and there are a few previews at the end, so I was actually more than 37% into the story).  And I think there's a huge case of too many Doms in the kitchen, or I guess that should be the dungeon.  All 5 players were Doms?  Well, except maybe TJ, he just seemed to be along for the ride.
The thing is, I'm okay with BDSM, and I'm okay with ménage (I'm actually okay with everything else listed in the warning).  I've even read a fair share of large group ménage (I think 9 people involved is the most I've read though).  But this one just felt off for me. It left me feeling dirty, but not in a good way.  Part of me feels like I need to finish the book.  Maybe it will get better.  It has quite a few good reviews.  But most of me is just glad that I didn't waste any money on this one (it was a freebie).
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment