Friday, September 20, 2013

Turn and Burn by Lorelei James

Turn and Burn (Blacktop Cowboys, #5)
Grade: D+
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: Mild Kink
Genre: Contemporary

Series: Blacktop Cowboys #5
Published: 8/6/13
Reviewed by Kate
368 pages 

Tanna was hurt in a barrel racing accident and hasn't been able to get on a horse again. Unfortunately, that kind of leaves her floundering as barrel racing was her life. She agrees to help some friends out with their resort over the summer. Fletch is an overworked veterinarian. But when he hooks up with Tanna, who he calls 'Sugar Twang' (she shall forever be 'Sugar Twang' in my head), he feels the longing for something more. But he's definitely tied to the area while Sugar Twang is only there temporarily. How can the two of them possibly work?

Okay, that's all that general stuff you can get by reading the book description (well, except for the Sugar Twang bit, I threw that in for a bonus). Now, onto what you really want to know.

I think that we all know that Lorelei James succeeds at writing series that keep us coming back for more and more and more. Turn and Burn is filled with all the things that should keep you coming back for more. It is a solid entry into the series, but it didn't blow my socks off. There was nothing extremely memorable about either Fletch or Sugar Twang. And unfortunately, a day later, I'm already forgetting them a bit. Fans of Lorelei James, and especially her Blacktop Cowboys series, will enjoy this one, but I don't think this is the best example of her writing.

The other thing I think I need to address in this one is Fletch's nickname for Tanna. Sugar Twang. Now I'm generally fine with nicknames. But for some reason this one grated wrong. And it was on every page. I didn't enjoy the book as much because every time I read it, it pulled me out of the story a bit. Sugar Twang? *shuddering*

So, obviously Sugar Twang is not my favorite nickname.  How about you?  Are you pro-nickname or anti-nickname?  What are the ones you've loved or hated?


2 comments:

  1. I really dislike "Baby" but I've read it enough to be pretty neutral to it now.

    I'm fine with a nickname that's a derivative of a name, such as Dani for Danielle. It's more hit and miss for me on the Honey/Sugar Bear/Sweetie kind of names for me. I recently read Sweet Thang by Anne Tenino, and Sweet Thang is the nickname one of the guys has for the other. Not my favorite, but it worked well in the story.
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually have a problem with nicknames unless it's Daddy. That makes me sick.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete