Friday, December 27, 2013

Anne's Series List

As I worked on my best of the year reads and my list of lists, I ended up with this long list that needed a post of it's own:


Twelve Series I'm Still Reading  I've pretty much given up on Sherrilyn Kenyon and Christine Feehan, too.  But there are some series that I just keep reading...
  1. The Rev. Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries by Julia Spencer-Fleming  - contemporary, small town set mysteries I read by audio.  Incredibly good.  I'll even put up with some semi-cliffhanger endings, these are so good.  Start with In the Bleak Midwinter.
  2. In Death Series by J.D. Robb - set around 2060 in New York, with Eve, Roarke, and tons of secondary characters that are good enough to steal the scene from Eve and Roarke, which is saying something.  I audio this one, too.  Book 37 just came out this year.  Amazingly I think this series is just as good as when it started!  Start with Naked in Death.
  3. Rough Riders Series by Lorelei James - Contemporary set cowboy romance that includes ménage and men who love each other along with more traditional couples.  The first book was a train wreck for me, but I couldn't look away.  Things improved drastically in book 2, and by book 3 I was hooked.  Start with Long Hard Ride, but remember the series gets better within a couple books!
  4. Tucker Springs by L.A. Witt, Heidi Cullinan, and Marie Sexton - contemporary set m/m romance takes place in the fictional college town of Tucker Springs. I kind of want to move there.  These books feel so real.  There's humor, there's a bit of angst, but really, really well done!  Start with Where Nerves End, though you're fine to jump in anywhere - I read them terribly out of order!
  5. The Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon - I plowed through these last winter and loved them.  They are contemporary set mysteries with a running m/m romance throughout the series.  I don't know if Lanyon will write more in this series, but I'm there if he does!  Start with Fatal Shadows.
  6. The Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs - alternate universe (with werewolves, fae, vampires, and magic) urban fantasy with really good romances running through it.  Yes, it's actually two series, but they are set in the same world and often overlap, so they are one series in my head.  Start with Moon Called. 
  7. Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews - Another urban fantasy with romantic elements.  Really good romantic elements!  Curran!  Even when the focus switches to Kate's friend Andrea, they are still good reads!  Start with Magic Bites. But have the next ones ready to read, because you won't want to stop!
  8. Beyond Series by Kit Rocha - Dystopian Romance in a post apocalyptic world.  The tone reminded me in some ways of the tone of the Hunger Games series, but the content is pure erotic romance and it's done really well.  Start with Beyond Shame.
  9. Science of Temptation series by Delphine Dryden - contemporary set romance with nerds and BDSM?  The first one made me think of Big Bang Theory Fan Fiction, except that it worked really, really well!  Smart and kinky is a really good combo!  Start with The Theory of Attraction.
  10. Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward - This is total crack.  Just when i think it's getting to be a little too much for me, I read another book and I'm hooked again.  Start with Dark Lover.  Suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride!
  11. The Pride Series by Shelly Laurenston  (if you want to be hard core, go read the 4 books of the Mangus Pack Series, too) These are laugh out loud, extra violent shifter romances that I just love.  Start with the two short stories in The Mane Event.  For extra fun, text the funniest lines to a friend and make them laugh, too.  (Kay and I do this.)
  12. The Kowalski Family Series by Shannon Stacey - this is really, really well done small town contemporary romance that will make you laugh a lot!  Start with Exclusively Yours.

So, what about you?  What are your favorite series?  And am I really missing out on something I need to read next year???

No comments:

Post a Comment