Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Accidental Call Girl by Portia Da Costa

The Accidental Call Girl  (Accidental #1)
Grade: B
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: Moderate Kink
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Accidental #1
Reviewed by Anne
239 pages
 
When Lizzie steps out of a friend's wedding reception and into a hotel bar, she realizes the handsome older man at the bar thinks she's a "high class call girl."  It's an exciting prospect to consider and she decides to play along.  It's even more exciting when she realizes it will give her a chance to try out some BDSM play.
 
John is so fascinated by the strangely innocent prostitute he picked up in the bar that he makes her offer - be with him every night during his business trip and he'll pay her handsomely for her exclusive services.  Neither of them expects to fall for the other.
 
This was a solid, well written book that was also really hot!  I enjoyed it and was totally drawn in, wondering what would happen next.  Though the story is told from both points of view, we know Lizzie's secrets from the beginning but know nothing of John's other than that he has secrets.  The main conflict in the story is what will happen when they are open with each other?
 
I was fascinated at how this played out.  It made me think about what it means to be a prostitute.  Lizzie doesn't think she is one, because she doesn't intend to keep John's money and because she'd willingly do what he wants without it.  She's quite swept away by him, even though she's trying not to fall in love.  Even though not every secret is spelled out in great detail, I felt like The Accidental Call Girl had a very satisfying HFN ending with confidence that an HEA would follow.  
 
I was surprised when writing up this review to realize that this book is the first in a same couple trilogy.  I generally shy away from those, but I have to say this book stands on it's own very well.  It has that wonderful fine balance of leaving you interested to know what happens next, while leaving you full of hope for the couple.  I very much appreciate the NON-CLIFFHANGER ending!
 
I've read short stories by Portia Da Costa before and enjoyed them.  How delightful to find out she's an author who can write well in short and long form!!  
 
So, I've read stories where the male character is a prostitute, but this is my first with the female in that role.  I think it was highly romanticized (a la Pretty Woman) but it was good.  How about you?  Have you found a romance with a prostitute as a main character that you enjoyed?  Or does that not work for you?

2 comments:

  1. I've read one male prostitute so far. I enjoyed it, but probably more for the novelty of it. I've run across one or two female prostitute plots in the historical genre, but I usually steer clear of them if I can.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the prostitute trope is very hit or miss for me. I think this one worked because she wasn't an established prostitute and it was a device that got them together, not a lifestyle choice.

    Curio, a male prostitute book really worked for me. I think it worked in part because it's just a short story about the beginning of a relationship. I'm looking forward to reading the other short (centered on the same character) stories in the series. However, I'm anxious because I'm not sure if an HEA can really be pulled off. I expect it will either be awesome or not work at all for me. -Anne

    ReplyDelete