Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Boy and A Girl by Jamie S. Rich

A Boy and a Girl
Grade: B-
Hotness Level: Spark
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: futuristic, graphic novel
Reviewed by Kate

186 pages

When I ran across this one, I knew I had to read it. Comic and romance? Seriously, I was geeking out a bit. I'm sure there are other romance graphic novels out there, but this was the first I'd run across.

Travis is a crashing a party with his friend when he meets Charley, who is attending the party with her friend. The party they are attending is a welcoming party for Charley's friend's new robot mother (meaning his mother had died, so he ordered a robot made to look and act like her, and they're having a party). Back to Charley and Travis though. Shortly after meeting, they sneak off to the host's bedroom to get it on, and end up getting caught. After separating, Travis finally finds Charley again on the night before she is leaving town. The two set out on a sweet journey, determined to spend every last minute together.

I enjoyed the story of Travis of Charley. I was floored by Charley's reveal about a 1/4 of the way in (I won't ruin the surprise for any future readers). But it was the Scooby-Doo ending (not a mask-pulling-off-reveal, but more of a that-came-out-of-left-field) that shocked me speechless. Although, honestly, I probably wouldn't have been as shocked had I read the description more closely-but again I was geeking out at finding a romance graphic novel. I'm not a fan of non-HEA romances, and you should know that Travis and Charley do not end up together. But it works in this story.

I enjoyed this unique storytelling format a lot and I look forward to enjoying more of this kind of platform.  Have you ever read any romance graphic novels?  Are you excited to try one out?  Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment