Monday, April 8, 2013

Captive In The Dark by C.J. Roberts

Captive in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #1)
Grade-B
Hotness Level-Blaze
Kink Level-Low
Series-The Dark Duet #1
Reviewed by Kay

Well, I wouldn't classify this as a romance. It's a dark suspense novel in my opinion. It has been all over a review site I frequent and I assumed there was something more to it than it's blurb. I have had it on my Kindle for awhile and decided it was time. Anne and I spoke about this book months back and thought it was too dark. After reading it, I think we were right.

Caleb is a flesh peddler. A human trafficker. A horrid, horrible person. His only feelings are those of revenge. It is what he lives for and for what happened to him, I feel his desire for revenge is justified. However, he is a despicable human being.

Livvy is an eighteen year old high school senior. All she wants is an escape from the life she leads through a college scholarship. She's innocent, inexperienced and beautiful. She somehow captured Caleb's attention. God help her.

Livvy is to become the instrument of Caleb's revenge against the man who wronged him. She is to be a submissive, willing to do whatever is asked of her. Caleb needs to break her down to make her into a virginal prize on the trafficking market. As they spend more time together, Caleb feels more and more for Livvy.

I'm not saying anything else regarding the outcome of the book but know there is a second one out there. This is a dark, gritty, powerful and life changing novel. I sat my twenty year old daughter down and told her about this book as a warning. C.J. Roberts has penned an excellently written novel. I certainly hope this book doesn't try to make this more romantic because this man in my opinion is beyond any sort of redemption.

2 comments: