Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Making It Last by Ruthie Knox


Grade: A+
Hotness Level: Blaze
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Camelot #4
Reviewed by Anne
104 pages
 
 I have always dreamed of reading a story like this! One that looks into a marriage and shows the work and the romance of it. This story brought tears to my eyes and I LOVED it. I hate crying while reading, yet I loved this book. It was so incredibly good and incredibly painful, yet sweet and romantic.

This is the fourth story in the Camelot series, and it's a continuation of Tony and Amber, whose "how they met" story was told in the first Camelot book, How to Misbehave.  I really enjoyed that one, too, but I don't think you'd have to read it to appreciate this one.  Making It Last takes place 13 or so years after How to Misbehave.

Tony and Amber have 3 rambunctious boys, a big mortgage, and a general busy-ness that leaves them with very little time alone.  Tony works long, long hours to make ends meet.  Amber has just seen her youngest child off to school and is feeling a little lost.  There are so many things pulling them apart, and they aren't even sure what's wrong or how to fix it. That doesn't sound like much, but it's gripping.  I was never bored, and even though I knew it had to be an HEA, I found myself wondering how in the world they'd work things out.  Yet when they did - it was believable.

The reality of the story makes it shine.  And then there's humor that relieves some of the tension and makes me grin through watery eyes.  Amber and Tony are great flirts when they get the chance to finally be alone together!

Ruthie Knox is a rising star. I haven't read all her books yet, but now I'm determined to! I so appreciate that she wrote a story like this one. It hit so close to home for me. It's so real, and I'm so grateful I got to read it. It's going on my best of the year list.

So, how about you?  Do you like reading a romance within an established marriage story?  Do you have any good ones to recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment