Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sky Runners by Fae Sutherland

Sky Runners (Skybound, #2)
 
Grade: B
Hotness Level: Blaze
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: Space Opera, Sci-fi, m/m
Series: Skybound #2
Reviewed by Anne
151 pages
 
Here's my book club style recap: So, there is this ship and crew (which reminded me of the Millenium Falcon, minus the wookie and plus gay men) who are on a mission to rescue this kidnapped guy (his name is Neith) who is being forced to work in a brothel.  They do a daring rescue, and they succeed, but it turns out he's been given lots of drugs that make him horny (to the point of pain, of course) and thankfully there's a guy on board (big old guy with a heart of gold named Killian) who is willing to, ahem, help him out until the drug wears off.  (It's a long lasting drug!)  Action and adventure ensues.  Will the nasty pimp with a big space ship come after them?  Will they be able to tell really lust and love from drug fueled feelings?
 
What a great read! I have to go back and read the first book in this series now, because, as is usual for me, I started with book 2 in the series. It's an interesting space/future world set up. m/m vs m/f romance doesn't seem to be an issue at all in this world, which was interesting and nice.

I was a bit nervous that the story would include a man who had been forced into prostitution.  That's a touchy subject and not one to be made light of.  I thought the repercussions of the forced prostitution were handled ok. My thought is that there would be bigger after effects, but it wasn't totally ignored, so I'm good with that. I'm a sucker for unintentional aphrodisiac stories, so that part really worked for me.

I thought Killian and Neith's relationship was sweet. I enjoyed the secondary characters, too. After reading the interaction between the captain and the pilot (main characters from the first book) I have to go back and read that one.  A caution - Killian has an accent.  You know, the kind where you don't say any of the "g"s in "ing" words.  That bugged me a bit.  I know it really drives some people bonkers.  But after a while his endearment for Neith (li'l bit) stopped being annoying and ended up being really sweet.

This was a  fun read I'd recommend to people who enjoy sci/fi space romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment