Saturday, July 6, 2013

Rule by Jay Crownover

Rule (Marked Men, #1)
Grade-C
Hotness Level-Blaze
Kink Level-None
Series-Marked Men #1
Reviewed by Kay

Shaw is a pre-med college student who has parents who want to control her life. Even as they kind of overlook her existence. She basically has a surrogate family in the Archer's. She met Remy Archer in high school and the two formed a strong bond. They were the perfect couple who wasn't.

Rule Archer is a great example of an anti-boyfriend, admittedly. He has piercings, tattoos, self destructive behavior and a horrible attitude. He is very estranged from his family, way past awkward.
His twin brother was Remy and has an older brother named Rome, who is in the armed forces.

These two characters, Shaw and Remy, have been raised through the teenage years together. Rule has always only seen Shaw as Remy's. Shaw has always seen Rule as hers. Through all of the trials, Shaw only sees Rule as worthy of redemption.

This book caught my eye last year and has sat on my Kindle for months and months. I finally told my self that it was time and opened it up. I have to say there is a lot of emotion in this book relating to the relationships in the story. Heavy emotions too. The characters have to deal with death and the awful ways it changes you. Those things I liked. The things I didn't like? Rule's mother was a monster and his father a total doormat for the monster. I also don't think a man that has a fight with the girl he's dating has a right to kiss another girl.  The other thing I did not like and my biggest complaint was the heat level. In my opinion, men that have piercings and tattoos should have sex scenes that are blistering not just warm. Don't tell me how hot he is and then have a lukewarm sex scene. It doesn't add up for me or work for me. Ultimately, it killed the book and the series for me.

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking this is a NA book. Do you think that's part of the lower heat level? I'm still trying to understand this whole NA trend! ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so and that's why I try to stay away from it.

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, inform the ignorant. What's NA?
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry! New Adult. It's stories about young adults, typically college age or just out of college, as I understand. -Anne

    ReplyDelete